Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Satisfaction






It's never easy to come to the end of a great vacation and return to work and life in general. Fortunately, the transition can be much smoother if you have the opertunity to leave your work in the hands of a reliable and enthusiastic staff. I recently returned to Santiago after 3 wonderful weeks abroad visiting my husband's family.

When I left La Escuelita Puerta Abierta in the hands of our staff of 5, I accepted that my departure was a natural turning point for the growth of our program. While I adore teaching and love working with our 20 talented students, I am aware that the the school is not Amanda's school, but rather an entity of our community and that all our teachers are quite capable or "running the show" in my absence.

Truly, I was delighted when I learned about all that was accomplished during my vacation. Candelaria lead the students in a two week thematic unit focusing on health and nutrition, Juanita began a unit on seasons, Bonnie taught weather in her English Class, students created a "health" food store and "bought" nutritious snacks, and Chonita, our library coordinator, ensured that the day to day activities ran smoothly.

In the realm of development, I couldn't be happier. I am delighted to know that our programs can function just as well, if not better in my absence....and truly, this is satisfying. I guess I should take more vacations!

Here are a few photos of what the children were busy learning (and eating) throughout the past three weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment